Thursday, January 27, 2011

Magic Meatloaf

Okay, I know what you're all thinking...

"Meatloaf is that gross stuff my mom used to try to get me to eat when I was younger. I will never EVER try to make it myself."

Well, I have to tell you that this meatloaf isn't your mother's meatloaf...

Let's just say, when I could have made something that would have taken less time tonight, my husband insisted on the meatloaf when I gave him the choice...he then proceeded to eat 3 helpings (more like shovel, because he was almost late for class waiting for said meatloaf).

Bottom line, its delicious and if it has the Jeff Nielson seal of approval, you know it has to be good.

Trust me...just try it.

You'll need to mix in a bowl:

1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 1/2 TBS onion powder
2 slices bread, diced small
3 TBS dried onion flakes (or 1/2 of a small fresh onion, minced small)
1/2 TBS salt
1 tsp. pepper
4 TBS Ketchup
1/2 cup milk or Half and Half
1 egg

This mixture should be fluffed up from the milk or half and half, but not runny. Pour the milk or half and half in in segments and mix so that you don't over hydrate your meatloaf

Place this in a 9x13 pan, making your preferred "loaf" shape in the middle. (I usually just do a rectangle through the middle of the pan. But you could make it a circle shape, I suppose...)

Then mix in a different bowl

1/2 cup ketchup
4 TBS Brown sugar
4 TBS vinegar
1 TBS mustard

Spread this sauce all over the meatloaf, making sure it drizzles down the free sides (trust me, the sauce is the BEST PART)

Then, cover the sauced loaf in aluminum foil. Bake at 375 degrees for 30-4o minutes. Remove the aluminum foil, drain excess fat out of the pan, and bake for 15-20 minutes longer. (I usually err more on the side of taking a full hour to cook it, just to be sure its cooked through the middle. Don't be afraid to take a knife and slice into the center to see if its cooked. If you're in a hurry, you can slice it into desired portions and turn the oven on to Broil, this usually ends up finishing the cooking in 10-15 minutes)

Bon apetite darlings!

No comments:

Post a Comment