Wednesday, January 19, 2011

30 minute Stroganoff (maybe less)

So...

In light of the fact that I am feeling nauseated today I don't feel much like cooking. However, that doesn't mean that my husband should go without a good home cooked meal. I will push through and persevere.

Since I don't feel much like cooking, its time to pull out the recipe to an old classic...well an old classic for my family in any case.

I will now bestow upon the world my recipe for Stroganoff...now let me preface this by saying that it isn't "true" stroganoff in the most traditional sense of the word. I have a freakish ability for being able to mimic recipes. I can go to a restaurant and within 2-3 bites I have tasted the spices and can mimic that recipe at home. This is NOT a restaurant recipe, this is actually my mimic of Hamburger Helper Stroganoff...but its way better for you because there are less preservatives and you know exactly what's going into it.

I will also say that this is my brother's favorite dish! I made him a tupperware of it before and after his mission, he had the whole thing downed in about 10 minutes (and it was a BIG tupperware)

Bon appetite darlings!

Here's how you make it:

put 1 lbs of hamburger into a skillet, salt it, add some minced onion, and some garlic powder. Brown it. Taste a piece to see if it's seasoned to your taste. Be careful not to over season it because of the next step....

Add 3 cups of beef stock ( this can be "made" by adding 4 beef boullion cubes to 3 cups of water- you want it to be a little strong)

Bring stock and beef to a boil then add anywhere from 2 to 4 cups of egg noodles. Stir so they are covered partially in the stock. Put the lid over the top and allow them to simmer until they are cooked (usually according to package specifications) DO NOT LIFT THE LID UNTIL THE COOKING TIME IS COMPLETE!

Add 1/2 to 1 pint of sour cream to the mix. Stir. If the sauce seems thin, go ahead and mix some flour with some milk and a little bit of the sauce, then stir it in (this is called a "rue" for those of you that like official cooking terms) Most of the time, this step is not necessary because the sour cream will thicken as it cooks to a good, creamy consistency.

Serve with your choice of vegetable...

You can thank me later... Its super fast, super easy, and delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment